Friday, March 11, 2011

More Horror News - A Serbian Film, Red Riding Hood, Battle Los Angeles!

A Serbian Film: Invincible Pictures has announced a theatrical release date for A Serbian Film. On Friday, May 13, an edited version of A Serbian Film will be released to select theaters throughout North America. An unrated version of the film will be released exclusively on FlixFling.com the same day.

This is a excellent opportunity for FlixFling to offer something totally exclusive to our growing community,” said Tom Ashley, CEO. “It was always our intention to release this film uncut, but given the recent charges against Sitges Film Festival director Angel Sala, we have decided to release an edited version of the film. We believe this film deserves to be seen as the filmmakers originally intended and hope to be able to release 'A Serbian Film' uncut in the future.”

I find this to be a shame. While the film is violent and does depict some horrific acts, it's a shame that a director can't have his vision shared the way it was intended. After all, no one was actually harmed making this film. It's only a movie! I personally found this to be a very important film as it has a message about the depths of depravity that people will go to simply for gratification. You can read my review here on this site. Also, I didn't find it to be nearly as bad as people have made it out to be. It is disturbing, there's no doubt. Indeed, some scenes are stomach churning, but it's not the worst thing I've seen. I've seen worse gore in the Saw films. It's this writer's opinion that the MPAA needs to be disbanded or at least severely overhauled.....

Red Riding Hood: I've been hearing a lot of reviews for this film and the vast majority have been negative. To quote you some of what I've read. "This film has no charm and completely desecrates the mythology of the original." Ouch! Another reviewer made the spot on assessment "This film is a watered down version geared towards the Twilight audience. The performances fall flat and Gary Oldman's participation is puzzling."

 In all honesty, none of this comes as a surprise to me. While I have yet to see the film, I could have called this a mile away. When I first heard about this I was excited. Then I heard the cast, director and the fact that it was supposed to be "more accessible." For me, that was the nail in the coffin. And, just FYI, these were the more polite comments I've heard...

Battle Los Angeles: In addition to Red Riding Hood, I've been hearing a ton of reviews for the Aaron Eckhart vehicle. The general consensus is that this film tends to ignore much of the horror and suspense and focus more on making this a mindless action film. Several other reviews have stated that this falls flat on all fronts. To be honest, I'm a bit shocked considering the hype that this film had prior to it's release.  I feel that much of the problem was due to the fact that the trailer made this out to be a hardcore alien invasion/horror film and it abandons that in favor of a shoot em up type film.

As usual, I would love to hear back from you all with your thoughts and/or personal reviews of the above films. Let me know what you think! Did these films disappoint you or were you blown away?

No comments:

Post a Comment