Thursday, March 31, 2011

Horror News - Insidious, Total Recall, Spawn and Ninety Kills!!!!!

Welcome back fellow horror junkies! Today started as a relatively slow news day for the horror community but things have warmed up. I've found some cool info on a new Spawn flick as well as some killer projects coming from Darren Bousman! Read on for the goodies!

Total Recall - Well, those of you who remember the original film which starred Arnold Schwarzenegger as a man who buys a literal dream vacation and ends up fighting a despot on Mars, may be interested in some new casting news. I recently reported that there were several female leads which had actresses such as Eva Green, Eva Mendes and Jessica Biel auditioning for the role. Now comes word that the villainous role of Richter (played brilliantly by Michael Ironside in the original) is close to going to none other than Bryan Cranston! (Breaking Bad) Cranston can indeed play menacing and psychotic and is electrifying to watch on screen, so I'm interested to see what he brings to the picture, which has Colin Farrell attached in the lead role originally played by Arnold. Check back for more info as it comes in. The movie is set to debut August 3, 2012.

Spawn - Todd McFarlane has been talking about a Spawn reboot for quite a while now. While nothing has really come of it other than endless rumors, McFarlane has recently made some... interesting comments to to My DVD Insider website. When asked for an update on the oft rumored project, here's what he had to say:

"I'm three quarters through it. I'll finish it and put it on a shelf for about a week. What usually happens is, I come back to it so I can see all the flaws. I do a rewrite and there's a first draft at that point."

Speaking on studio interest, McFarlane is set on his demands: he will only make it if he can write, produce, direct..

"[A few studios have phoned me to talk about the project] and when I walk into these pitch meetings, I go here's the story. I give them the broad strokes. Then I go, here's the non-negotiable part: I write, produce, direct. That's it," he states adding that it WILL be low budget, therefore he might as well be the "schmuck" who directs it.

Lastly, on the plot: "In this new version, there are no supervillains, archenemies or any of that. It's just a spook movie, something scary going bump in the night." While that last statement sounds suspect to me, he is promising a hard R rating, which Spawn truly deserves. What do you all think?

Ninety - Darren Lynn Bousman, the man behind Saw II - IV, Mother's Day, 11-11-11, has recently announced what his next project may be. I, personally am a big fan of Bousman and his forthcoming project sounds fucking amazing!


Ninety is described as "an insane 3D bloodbath that follows a serial killer as he sets out to kill ninety people in ninety minutes!" Here's what Bousman had to say:

"It's psychotic and it's crazy. I wanted to do a movie that's fun. 'Repo!' was fun, and I think that translated well into the movie. '11-11-11' and 'Mother's Day' are not fun movies. 'Ninety' is fun. It's 90 kills in 90 minutes. Done. Sold. Buy my ticket. We're talking unique kills, too; it's not like I just put ninety people in a room and dropped a bomb. The script is from Scott Milam, who also wrote 'Mother's Day.' It's a cross between 'Natural Born Killers,' 'True Romance,' and something a little more lighthearted."

Bousman continues, "When you're going to kill ninety people in a movie, after a while it could become monotonous. You'll feel like, "Okay, I've seen this. I'm done." To combat that, we're going out of our way to make our killer cool and badass, like Mickey and Mallory were in 'NBK.' You'll see the movie and just want to be the killer. Obviously we don't want anyone to ever emulate being a killer as obviously that's wrong, but we made sure our guy is just very likable. There's two times that you'll even want to high-five him."

Speaking on what's potentially next, Bousman explains: "I'll be shooting a little surprise between '11-11-11' and the next thing. I've also sold another horror film that I've written that we may fast-track and move quickly into. It's a monster movie. Another kind of exploratory thing that I'd like to do."

I think this sounds like an insane, awesome popcorn film which, with Bousman at the helm, will deliver on the red stuff. The man no doubt knows his gore and seems like a perfect fit for this film. I'd love to see this on the big screen as it reminds me of some of the over the top horror and action flicks of the 80's. What are your thoughts?

Insidious -  While this isn't really "news" I found it promising. I've been looking into some of the buzz around Insidious, the new creation from Saw creator James Wan, and I've found one thing in common: all the feedback has been insanely positive! From what I've seen, critics and fans alike have been gushing over the film. While I generally could care less what critics think, this does pique my interest in the film. Critics are usually overly harsh on genre films, so to hear one is getting so much praise certainly elevates my hopes. I guess we'll all find out on April 8!

 










No comments:

Post a Comment