Saturday, March 26, 2011

Horror News - Paranormal Activity 3, Blood Of The Innocent and Dimension Films!

Well, it certainly seems to be a busy day for horror! Earlier I told you all about the Child's Play remake and Dark Shadows news, and now I've got some more news for you. Everything from Dimension Films date shifts to Breck Eisner's new film. Read on below for the 411.

Blood Of The Innocent - Inferno Entertainment has come aboard to finance Victorian era horror-thriller Blood of the Innocent, with Circle of Confusion producing. Breck Eisner (The Crazies) is attached to direct and Bill Marsilii (Deja Vu) is writing.The film is based on a four-issue comic book series pitting Dracula against Jack the Ripper and published by Warp in 1985. Marsilii has developed a pitch in which Jack the Ripper is saving the world by killing off Dracula's brides.

I think that this sounds like an incredibly fascinating concept and a nice little twist on Jack the Ripper. In an industry full of remakes/reboots and a lack of original ideas, this is a welcome change. Also, I really enjoyed what Eisner did with The Crazies and I think that if he sticks with the genre he will be a force to be reckoned with.

Paranormal Activity 3 - It was reported earlier that Paul Feig would be directing the third installment and that Roger Avary (Silent Hill, Pulp Fiction) would be writing the script. The folks over at Bloody Disgusting have now confirmed that this is indeed FALSE. All that is really known at this time is that the film will be release October 21, 2011 and that Oren Peli (Paranormal Activity 1) will be back to produce.

Personally, I am relieved. While the script for Pulp Fiction was no doubt amazing, I didn't much care for Silent Hill and I don't feel that Avary would have been a good fit for the already repetitive franchise. It's my humble opinion that they need someone who is capable of bringing some genuine, good old fashioned scares and Avary isn't that guy.

Dimension Films - I've always had some respect for Dimension Films. They clearly enjoy the genre as they tend to put out a decent number of horror films. While the quality isn't always great, at least there's a big studio out there still trying to cater to us genre fans. In addition, Dimension has 2 pretty hotly anticipated horror films this year, both of which have now had their release dates changed.

Dimension Films will be reworking Gonzalo Lopez-Gallego's found footage Apollo 18 for launch on January 6, 2012. April 22, 2011 was the original release date. For me, this doesn't bode well for the film. Delaying it at the last minute for an additional eight months can't be a good thing. Many fans have been awaiting this film and now it looks like you'll be waiting a good deal longer.

In addition, Piranha 3 Double D has yet to enter the casting phase, so the release date has been bumped to November 23, 2011, a few months later than the planned September date. The sequel to the Alex Aja-directed reboot will re team Feast director John Gulager with writers Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan.

I actually quite enjoyed the first Piranha, as I knew what to expect. I wasn't expecting anything Oscar worthy. I was simply interested in a good time, popcorn horror film, which for me is what I got. Piranha hearkened back to the horror films of the 80's and did it well. I, for one, am psyched for the sequel. I only hope we get more Gianna Michaels in 3D!!!

As usual, I welcome feedback and opinions. Drop me a line in the comment section!

No comments:

Post a Comment