Monday, July 18, 2011

Horror News - Texas Chainsaw 3D, Halloween 3D, Hellraiser, Fright Night, I Saw The Devil and The Wicker Man!!

As I stated, it's been a while, but as promised, here's some news for you to sink your fangs into!

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D - It was recently reported that Gunnar Hansen would cameo in the new Texas Chainsaw film. Now word has broke that none other than Texas Chainsaw creator Tobe Hooper will also have a role in the new film!! It hasn't been revealed in what facet they will appear, but this is exciting news none the less.

The new film is said to be direct sequel to Hooper's original film. The film follows a showdown at Leatherface's base camp where all are believed dead. Young Heather inherits a home and upon arrival, new murders spring up. She also finds out that Leatherface is her cousin as she tries to figure out who's behind these slayings. Bill Mosley also stars as Leatherface's loving father.

Halloween 3D, Hellraiser 3D - Both these films are back on track! Furthermore, both are being brought to us by creative duo Todd Farmer and Patrick Lussier, the men behind the My bloody Valentine remake (which I enjoyed) and Drive Angry ( which I thought was a terrific grind house film.) Both films have also secured 2012 release dates. There was former talk of the Weinsteins wanting Hellraiser to be PG-13 and teen friendly. Thankfully Lussier has ignored this idea and promises that both films will be hard R!

Also, Tom Atkins has joined the cast of Halloween 3D. With a genre fave like him on board, plus Farmer and Lussier, I think we're in good hands. While it has yet to be confirmed, Scout Taylor Compton (Rob Zombie's H1 and H2) and Brad Douriff are also in talks to rejoin the  cast as Laurie Strode and Sheriff Bracket.

While details are being kept tight, it's been reported that the film will pick up after Zombie's H2 and then flash forward one year, when Michael returns to Haddonfield and starts his rampage once more. This comment was released by Todd Farmer himself, so it's a pretty sure bet that there's some fact here.

Fright Night 3D - No one was more skeptical than myself when I heard they were remaking 80's cult classic Fright Night. Then I heard that Colin Farrell was stepping into the role formerly played by Chris Sarrandon and I groaned even more. Then came the inclusion of Anton Yelchin and McLovin and I was sure we were screwed. Lastly I saw the photos of the new Peter Vincent, who's a magician and sports a look reminiscent of Cris Angel (who's a royal douche bag, btw.) I wrote the film off then and there.

Lately, however, I've seen a bunch of new footage and re watched the original and I have to say, I'm actually getting excited. After viewing the original I realized one very obvious thing: Chris Sarrandon, while good in the role, was not intimidating or as "seductive" as the screenwriters intended. Also, he was.... old! Colin Farrell looks pretty damn good in the role and it looks as if he reminds us all that he can actually act when he wants to. Plus he was terrific in Horrible Bosses....

Also, Evil Ed was quite irritating in the original (as he was supposed to be) and if anyone can play obnoxious geek, it's Christopher Mintz Plasse. And as much as I want to hate on Anton Yelchin, I haven't got enough ammo. Charlie Brewster wasn't exactly a three dimensional character anyhow...

Then came the feedback. I've heard from several people who have seen an advance screening and they have RAVED about how good it is and how faithful it stays to the original. Even the dance club scene from the original is present, which is pretty damn awesome. As the August release date approaches, I find myself growing more and more excited. Not to mention the R rating and promise of gore. While I won't be seeing it in 3D, I will be seeing it on opening night. I suggest you do the same!

 I Saw The Devil - I recently had the... pleasure?... of seeing this film. It is quite something. Equal parts brilliant and disgusting, filled with great acting, intense violence and social commentary. I recommend you all track down a copy and prepare yourself accordingly. For those unfamiliar, the premise sees a young woman become the most recent victim of a brutal serial killer. Her fiance happens to be a Secret Agent, however, and is hell bent on revenge. He sets out to find the killer and then systematically torture and release him only to repeat over and over again. It truly is a great movie in the revenge sub genre.

Now comes word that this South Korean film will be the subject of an American remake. While no director is locked yet, there are rumors that Alex Aja (High Tension, Hills Have Eyes) is being considered. Possibly more interesting though is the rumored casting.. Edward Norton has been mentioned several times as the front runner for the Secret Agent/Vigilante while Russel Crowe's name keeps popping up as the Serial Killer! Now again, none of this is confirmed yet, but I thought it was interesting and worth thinking about. For those of you who have scene it, who would you like to see in the unnecessary but inevitable remake?

Wicker Man - It was reported a while back that we would be treated to a sequel to the original Wicker Man (starring Christoper Lee.) Now it so happens that Wicker Tree will make it's premier at the Fantasia Film Festival. In addition, a third installment will begin filming next month, giving us a TRILOGY of Wicker Man films!

No comments:

Post a Comment